Champions Double Down at 26th Alumni Golf Outing
Not only are they good enough to beat golfers of their own era, but the Class of ’71 team of Scott McConnell, Jim Smith, Mike Kuharic, Phil Dehebreard, Ken Thompson and Larry Nicolet also took it to the younger guys and captured both the Overall and Senior Champion plaques at the 26th Annual Alumni Golf Outing held on June 11.
Perhaps it was teeing off from the senior tees or having a team of six, but when the day was done this team finished 12 under par. This was one stroke ahead of the teams from the Class of ‘80/’77/’83 of Jim MacDonald, Jay Smith, Mike Spooner and Steve Cosler and the Class of ’95 of Craig Johnson, Eric Morgan and Brian Griffiths.
Purdue’s New Pete Dye Course
All the brothers had a great time playing the newly revamped Ackerman-Allen Purdue course that had just been opened. The Pete Dye designed course added some distance and a couple of new holes. Overall it was a perfect day for golf and sharing time with the bros.
The Class of ’77 won the Class Participation award with 12 brothers attending, with the always steady Class of ’68 returning nine pledge brothers. Ryan Wilson from Hercules, CA was recognized for traveling the farthest to join us. Closest to the Pin honors went to Larry Nicolet ’71 and Mike Spooner ’80; and Dave Nussmeier ’77 had the longest drive.
Thanks To All Who Contributed
Brian Griffith ’95 with the assistance of Craig Johnson ’95 did a nice job of putting the outing together. Brian commented, “I would like to thank all the brothers who attended the golf outing, dinner, and/or sponsored a hole. A special thank you to Rick Taylor '95, for donating the shirts for the second year.”
Sponsors for this year’s event included:
- Craig Reed '99
- Phil Steele - Class of '77
- Larry Nicolet - Class of '71
- Jim, Jay and Tom Andrew - Henry Poor Lumber and Flooring Express
- Preston Cobb - Plate Busters of '77
- Bob Weskamp - In memory of Neil Berling '68
- Corby Thompson - In memory of Robert Bunton '81
- Robert Kaley - Honor of Class of '68, 50 Years of Brotherhood
- Class of '95 - In memory of Xavier Somerville ('16)
- Robert (Skip) Barnett '69 - In memory of Steve Horner '69
- Bernie Sergesketter '58, Jim Dora '58, Jake Henry '96, David Woodruff '99 - Please Support the Delta Delta Annual Fund
Overall the golf and dinner were great and the brotherhood outstanding. We look forward to having more of you join us next year.